Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I've been feeling pretty 'bloggy' lately, mainly because I've realized (more than I already had) how fast Hyrum is growing up. It is so exciting for me to watch my babies grow and soak up the knowledge of the world around them, and to see the wheels turning in their brains. Hyrum is no different in that aspect for me, but it seems like he may be the smartest little baby I've ever had! His vocabulary is astounding to me at 13 months (He can say about 40 words already) and his understanding of what you tell him is amazing as well. Today in the mothers' room at church, he walked over to the sink pointed and said "wah" (wash). I said, 'is that where you wash your hands?' He responded by making a little brushing/washing motion with his hands. He loves trouble more than any of my other kids, and will look back to see if you're watching him and if he catches any whiff of disapproval,  he will rush headlong into whatever destructive activity he has set his mind on. My disapproval merely sets his determination in place to accomplish it quickly and thoroughly. I also don't think I've seen a 9 month old do a fake cry before, let alone a barely one year old. His favorite thing to say and eat (I judge it by the fit he throws every time he sees it) is Watermelon, and he can actually say watermelon, which is even crazier. (Wah-meown is how it comes out). We love this kid, and he is very vocal about calling his dad's name and getting his attention and now when he sees us kiss, he wants to get in on the action and give kisses too, which is soooo sweet, considering all the little boy/tough guy act we get from him mostly.

The kids go back to school tomorrow, and I went to Walmart to get some pencil pouches for them. There were really none to be had like I had in mind that weren't incredibly over-priced, over-commercialized ones. So I decided I could make them cheaper and even put eyelets in them so they can keep them in their binders. This was also in celebration of getting my sewing machine back from the shop since it was in desperate need of a tune up after sewing too-thick denim, being pulled on the floor by baby, and being 9 years old without having had a tuneup. Can you guess who the wolf one is for? ;) This year will bring several changes, as we now have a high-schooler (EEK!) and two middle schoolers. Deep breaths. Seminary, scouts, and the like will keep us in the whirlwind for quite awhile. Hyrum also starts going to a new sitter tomorrow, which I am exicted and nervous about. I think he will LOVE being there with the little kids, but I do worry about germs (I never used to be a germophobe) with Hyrum having had RSV this last March and being hospitalized, and getting bronchitis once a month, every month since then. But the show must go on!

Hyrum is sleeping now, which is my chance to hop on the computer, since he has discovered where the glowing red switches are for the power strips powering the cable modem and the computer. The other day I left the room and heard him crying so I came back into the room after cleaning up whatever mess he'd already made and found him like this:
 But as soon as I found him, I grabbed the camera and he was (almost) instantaneously smiling/posing for the shot. What a stinker! He sure is a character, but we love him so much and are sooo incredibly grateful to our Father in  Heaven for sending this beautiful little boy to our family!
 Now I've got crockpot salsa chicken in the crockpot, and my kids (who have told me I am an amazing cook just for this recipe which I found on Pinterest alone) are ready to eat. Then it will be Father's blessings and bedtime. School year, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment